One of the most troublesome sections on the ACT is the English
Test. Packed with 75 questions and only a 45-minute time limit, students often find themselves rushing through, making basic mistakes that they wouldn’t otherwise commit in less stressful situations.
So how do you make it through 75 questions in 45 minutes without mistakes?
The only way to score high in the ACT English Test is to know grammar rules and how the test is written.
That's why Counterpoint's ACT English Test Academy has 20 lessons to cover all the types of grammar rule questions you’ll find on the English section of the ACT, as well as an overview of how the test is written so that you know what mistakes to avoid, even if your grammar background is spotty.
"If you get these down, I'm confident that you will feel and be fully prepared to ACE the ACT English Section."
Dr. K, Master Teacher and Counterpoint Test Prep Co-founder
See All That's Included
To achieve a great score on the ACT, preparation for the grammar portion of the English section is absolutely essential.
Introducing the Self-Paced
ACT ENGLISH TEST ACADEMY
Developed and taught by National Board certified Master Teacher, Dr. Kay Van Der Burg
The ACT English Academy was created to be the most unique and powerful ACT English prep course available. I designed it to show students how to apply a toolbox full of proven test-taking strategies and help them perform under that crippling 45-minute time limit.
How it Works
The English section of the ACT is divided into several topics, including rhetorical skills, sentence structure, punctuation and grammar. The grammar section, particularly, provides plenty of opportunities for students to make simple mistakes. Here's how Counterpoint Test Prep has organized this course to help you get the ACT score of your life:
1. Comprehensive Video Lesson: Each lesson begins with an in-depth video lesson taught by master teach Dr. K. Students will work with through teacher-led problems, step-by-step, diagnosing each example with expert insight and advice to master each topic in this section.
2. Independent Practice: Each lesson has an extensive library of more than 400 online English Test independent practice problems to be completed for real-time feedback in communicating progress and gaps for learning.
3. Explanations for Each Independent Practice Question: An in-depth analysis follows each independent practice set, highlighting the skills and strategies needed to arrive at the right answer. And because you can learn as much from the wrong answers as you can from the getting of the right answer, each explanation explores the reasoning around why each answer is right and wrong.
The Counterpoint Advantage-Point Strategy
With Counterpoint ACT test prep courses, students can learn our proprietary Advantage-Point Strategy. This is how we set ourselves apart from other test prep services, and it’s how students can learn test-taking skills right alongside the actual subject content. By applying three essential points, students can find the best answer to any ACT question and ACE the ACT English Test. Here's how it works:
- Pinpoint. Since ACT writers like to word questions awkwardly, this is where the student makes the intent of the question clear.
- Checkpoint. The student applies specific strategies and test knowledge taught in the course.
- Endpoint. Having applied this knowledge, the student is able to confidently choose only the correct answer.
With our unrelenting commitment to education and successful history of high student scores in the past, students can rightfully feel confident after taking one or more of our test prep courses. If you want to see your or your student’s ACT score improve, there’s no better way than by taking an online test prep course from Counterpoint.
At Counterpoint, we offer comprehensive courses for each section of the ACT that were specifically designed by test taking and teaching experts rather than simply people who performed well on the exam. With our unique approach, students will be better equipped to avoid errors and ACT the ACT conquer the ACT!
So, even if your English grammar background is weak, this ACT prep course will exponentially improve your skills, and pay dividends for you well beyond college.
The Couinterpoint ACT English Test Academy Covers Exactly What is on the ACT English Test
In total, there are 17 types of questions focused around grammar. As such, the ACT English Academy has a specific lessons and practice questions dedicated to each of the following grammar and mechanics rules:
- Subject and Verb Agreement
- Verb Tenses & Forms
- Adjective and Adverb Forms
- Comparative and Superlative Modifiers
- Pronoun Cases and Form
- Pronoun Agreement and Pronoun Shift
- Apostrophes (used in contractions and to show possession)
- Commonly Misused Words
- Subordinate/Dependent Clauses and Sentence Fragments
- Run-on Sentences and Comma Splices
- Comma Usage
- Colon, Semi-Colon, Dashes, and Parentheses
- Misplaced Modifiers
- Indefinite Pronouns and Incomplete Constructions
- Voice Shift
- Linking Words such as Conjunctions
- Parallel Construction
Rhetorical Skills test proficiency in writing strategy, style, and organization. This category presents 3 types of questions.
- Writing Strategy
- Writing Style
- Writing Organization
Of course, Dr. K has a dedicated lesson to each the of these skills in the ACT English Test Academy, along with a summary of grammar rules you will want to know for the test.
Even with all of these common ACT English grammar section rules in mind, students won’t be able to earn the best score possible on the exam without extensive test prep.
Counterpoint's English Academy Prepares You for the ACT English Section with Two Unique and Specific Strategies
There are two basic categories of questions on the English section of the ACT, covering 20 different types of questions tested. While some students find this section to be the easier than writing or reading, the only way to be both efficient and effective in this part of the test is to move quickly and meticulously avoid the pitfalls that plague those students who don't know the grammar rules and don't know the test.
Here's how I will teach you to ACE the English section of the ACT:
Strategy #1 - Understanding How the ACT English Test is Written
The first step to mastering the English grammar section is to get an idea of what the test itself is like. The test requires that 75 questions be answered in just 45-minutes, meaning students have to answer a question about every 36 seconds. As such, students often find themselves rushing through, making basic mistakes that they wouldn’t otherwise commit in less stressful situations. Fortunately, accomplishing such a feat is doable, if you know how the test in structured, and how to avoid the common mistakes.
Because so many rules are covered, including rhetorical skills, sentence structure, punctuation and grammar, the ACT English Test provides plenty of opportunities for students to make simple mistakes. Even grammar experts can be caught off guard due to the stressful conditions of the test itself!
So, if you are someone who wants to achieve a great score on the ACT, preparation for the grammar portion of the English section is absolutely essential. Fortunately, Counterpoint's ACT English Test Academy is a comprehensive test prep course that offers all the information and practice students need to find success on this important exam.
Strategy #2 - Knowing How to Avoid Common English Section Mistakes
There are two basic categories of questions on the English section of the ACT, covering the 20 different types of questions focused around basic grammar rules. Counterpoint's ACT Test Academy will help you to master this area of the test with lessons addressing each of the following topics:
- How to avoid incorrectly choosing the detractor answer.
- Failing to recognize keywords and trigger words that clue you into the right answer.
- Choosing the wrong linking conjunctions.
- Taking the Math section approach - they're not the same!
- Speeding through the questions and not considering the verbs.
- Disregarding parallelism.
- Not understanding pronoun ambiguity and word choices.
- Ignoring the rules for incomplete construction and run-ons.
- Confusion about misplaced modifiers.
- Wordiness & Redundancies
- And so much more!
Having a tool kit full of proven strategies specific to the ACT English Test will give you a distinct advantage and help you to avoid making these common mistakes. And following these tips in general can make it easier for students to earn a higher score on the ACT...
"It's a miracle I got into Stanford and I couldn’t have done it without your lessons."
Get Started with Counterpoint's ACT English Test Academy Right Now!
If students want to avoid making the most common English grammar mistakes on the ACT, Counterpoint offers all the preparation they need. With our commitment to education and a history of enabling successful students, students can feel confident that their scores will improve after using our comprehensive courses.
Take advantage of everything we offer!
"Thank you for the lessons. The past months made such a difference for Jeffrey and John, and helped
them so much on their college tests."
"Thank you for all your dedication and time in making your lessons. You’ve helped me gain confidence."
"It is really impossible to thank you enough or even well enough to really get across to you how grateful I
am. Your decision to teach these lessons is amazing."
All of Counterpoint courses and tutoring comes with an iron-clad 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you're not satisfied, I'm not satisfied. After going through the lessons and finding that you aren't totally thrilled, simply contact me, and I'll make it right. If not, I will happily refund your investment 100%.